Obligations and Responsibilities of Board Members
At a basic minimum, board members are required to…
- Attend monthly meetings. These are currently held on the third Tuesday, from 7pm – 9pm at Youngstown.
- Attend bi-annual retreats. These are held on a weekend in Spring / Fall, usually around March and October. Locations vary, but are usually within a couple hours of Seattle.
- Attend bi-annual town hall meetings. These are held on a weeknight in Spring / Fall, usually within 2-3 weeks after the retreat. Meetings last from 2 – 3 hours and require some preparation.
- Be available by email regularly.
- Offer informed opinions to decisions about budgets, processes, schedules, and projects.
- Follow Robert’s Rule of Order and help keep our meetings on track.
- Be present and involved in the community in some way.
All board seats are effectively members-at-large, representing the community in general. Seats are not tied to executive positions, which are chosen annually, though board members are encouraged to pursue executive positions that interest them.
Since board membership is a 3-year term, we’ve found that most new board members spend their first year figuring how best to serve, then really kick into high gear in their second and third years.