Ignition Northwest Board Meeting May 12, 2011
In Attendance: Andrew Birklid, Eva Luna, Zoey Platt, Mary Saucier, Tabasco Mills, Christian Jacobsen, Joel Sack, Karie Burns, Sharon Afforde
Telecommute (via Skype) – Qathi Hart
Absent: Kay Morrison, Phil Arensberg, Craig Ackermann
Meeting Started at: 6:40 PM
Welcome New Members
All – Strengths and weaknesses
KB – Strengths: Good big picture perspective. Logistics and Organization. Weakness: Schedule management.
JS – S: Have business-minded approach. W: (unknown)
TM: – S: Experience with admin for the Org, and as an artist. W: I am an artist.
CJ: – S: Biz bg. Agility with words. W: No follow through:
QH: – W: Don’t know my strengths. Timeliness. S: Snark.
AB: – S: Tech. Events. Processes and Procedures. Orange. W: Things I am not interested in (like Treasurer).
EL: – S: Org skills. Efficiency. Opinions. W: Hate documentation! Spreadsheets are cool, but I hate going back and documenting stuff.
ZP: – S: Willingness to help on anything. W: Lose interest, then I lose momentum.
MS: – S: Lack of ego. Service-oriented. Intuitive. W: Under-value my abilities. Total lack of snark.
SA: – S: Pro networker. Help people find their right place. Tenacity. W: Tend to be perceived as over-enthusiastic. Also ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
(KB gave the new Board Members some basic ground rules for working on and with the Board.)
JS asked MS about what she does for work.
M: I work with organizations setting up things in SE Asia.
J: Where is all the cool info about Grants coming from?
M: I signed up for a list as a part of a class I am taking at UW. But the types of grants we are working on are for the NIH and are seriously technical.
Old Business\Open Topics\On-Line Votes:
KB – Review & approve April Meeting Minutes
AB – On-line vote: Honkfest Speaker Rental
KB – Revisit Officer Selection schedule
JS: The business needs Officers to be defined near the beginning of the year.
TM: Moving the Officer selection to Jan works for the “3-month overlap” as well. (And there is no requirement in our Bylaws.)
SA: Is that the right timeframe? Isn’t everything wrapped by the end of Q1?
CJ: Jan nominations. Feb Elections. March 1st mtg.
AB: Is there an action item here? Or does there need to be more discussion?
EL: Is there a proposal on the table? We don’t have the details, do we?
TM: The only thing we need to consider in a vote is to move the Officer Elections – NOT the BOARD Elections – from the Fall Retreat to the Spring Retreat.
TM: Moved: To move the Officer Selection to the Spring Retreat. (ALL in favor. Motion carries. Jole voted yea as Phil’s proxy.)
CJ: FB Group changes no longer allow Emailing your Group. My solution was to create an INW Blog Post, and link to it on the INW Group Page. Want to see the Blog more prominent on the INW web site.
AB: The blog posts are posted to the front page of the INW site. Might be time to resurrect the Members-Announce list.
QH: RSS feed is broken. (I just double checked it, I think it is working, it must have changed or something…)
CJ: No activity. Going to make one and pass it by the Board for review. Does it go to Rat and BCWA? Or Members-annojnce only?
TM: If you want it, you sign up for it. Period.
EL: How does the process work?
CJ: I collate things, and then send out the Newsletter when the content warrants it. (It is “long enough”, or there is time-sensitive content.)
SA – FNG Packet
SA: Done! Check em out! (I only made 4, for Eva, Sharon, Zoey, Mary)
TM: I want one!
SA: OK! I’ll make you one!
SA: Also looking at the “how do we organize documents better” question. Currently the entire FNG is a single document (for ease of formatting).
Sharon shared book “Inside the Board Room” with Zoey, to pass on the Mary when she is done.
AB – Town Hall
AB: All lined up! Artists are going to bring photos, sculpture, and music.
AB: Food and drink will be available there.
AB: Format is art-centric. Tabasco is going to do a focus group with artists. Others will be able to go to the Strategic Plan Thing with Randy. Then standard updates (budget, etc).
TM: How do I participate with both my group and the Strategic Plan?
KB: Attend one of the Focus Group Meetings.
AB: Drop by before the event is over. Going to be just a quick update.
AB: If you have other people that want to bring art, please get them in touch with me.
(Several suggestions from TM, EL, CJ)
CJ: How does food work with the meeting going on?
AB: Bar in the theater. You get up, go to the bar, and order.
SA: Can we keep the kids thing alive?
ZP: No. If the kids aren’t there, then they won’t come.
AB: There is a Kids-Zone kind of place in Columbia City. Could rent it.
ZP: For this time?
JS: No. Next time.
ZP: Surprised about the 21+ requirement for Town Hall.
(All – So were we. Won’t be next time.)
- Kid’s room is a No Go. (Liquor problems)
AB – CM Update
AB: Team Leads Meeting rocked. Ready to roll.
AB: Budget is ready. (Except the art numbers.)
JS: That’s not your program, so it shouldn’t be in your budget.
AB: I was asked to include them 2 yrs ago, so we can align the profits from the event with the amount we have Granted.
JS: Take it out. Make your budget look better.
EL: What about refurb grants or entertainment?
TM: Nope. Those are under Art budget, not CM budget.
EL: What about refurbs for infrastructure?
JS: Last yeat we didn’t have a budget, so this is a catch-all bucket for everything. We will refine it as we use it.
JS: Where is wood?
AB: I’ll run through the list…
Increases: Heavy Machinery, more Portable Toilets, more utility vehicles,
Lighting explanation: We broke it out because it was all in one “Stage” light item, which was inaccurate for how the lighting is going to be used on site. (Will prevent injuries on the bridge, etc.)
Laptop Scanner: Item includes laptop, which Joel just donated, so line item will drop by $400.
Fire: “Public Heating” is the wood.
TM: Gnost applied for a micro-grant for the wood.
AB: If you give him the micro-grant, then we will pull it from the budget. We’ll only pay for it for once.
AB: The $130 item is just for fuel on Burn Night for the performers.
(Note: Daniel Walsh is back on board for the Fire Safety role. Everything must be inspected prior to performing.)
QH: While someone’s tools may pass muster, the people also need to be vetted, because there are some people who are not allowed to perform.
JS: Last year we had to set up a Fuel Depot, and it cost money. Do we want to include $500 for that?
AB: Already covered under DPW Gas line item.
AB: Looking at possible musical instrument rental for the main stage.
JS: Remove the Radio Accessories from the CM budget. This is an INW asset.
TM: Did we vote on that purchase?
JS: No. But it is a INW asset.
TM: Which brings me to my point, that the Lighting we are buying should be under an INW Asset Budget, not a CM Production Budget.
AB: Green Supplies may go away. Is a placeholder for potential costs.
AB: The Workshop leaders have asked for amplification so they can be heard over events at the Main Stage. So the Workshop budget has been padded by $200 to accommodate that.
AB: I want to get approval on this budget tonight.
TM: What is the “volunteer swag” line?
AB: 1” button maker (which will be moved to Fixed Asset) for Merit (and Demerit) Badges.
TM: Laptop scanner? (See previous note on this topic.)
QH: Wow. A button maker is $400?
AB: Budget is now $36.112. I propose we authorize the budget.
Karie Burns seconded.
All in favor. Motion passes.
QH: Board gets free tickets?
CJ: But Q and Phill won’t be board members. So I’ll buy Q’s ticket.
KM – Site Committee
EL: I didn’t go to last meeting. As far as I know, it has slumped.
EL: Interested in possibly looking at a new direction which would be two big spaces, and a courtyard between.
EL: Setting up a relationship with USC, who is throwing a 9k person “kiddie rave” this weekend. They throw huge events in town, and might be useful partners.
EL: Constantly moving the event from one space to another every year is incredibly difficult. We need to find a permanent space where we can do this.
TM: Is Kent still on the table?
EL: It is not off the table. But as a one-off, in a space that is for sale, does not really provide for our long-term goal of finding a “permanent space”.
KB: I prefer the long-term solution as well. The Boat Show location (off Lake Union) could be a place…
SA: Sent info to E and K about Evergreen State Fairgrounds. Allow fire inside, camping overnight, and regularly do SCA events. So freaks welcome.
JS: Must have a binding agreement if we go into a temporary space. (Buildings for sale, etc.)
KM – Georgetown
AB: I put together a drawing of our system to the organizers. They will select what they want.
AB: Kinda concerned about their event this year. There isn’t even a web site stating the date, or anything else.
JS: (asked AB about the details of what is available in our system). I will bring the system and run it during the event with Lance Kett.
EL – SeaComp Production Team Selection
EL: Met with Kay and set up the timelines for this year. Sent an email about it.
EL: Excited to sync this process with the one we used for the CM Production Team.
EL: Interview candidates between June 6-10
EL: Have announced the team previously at CM, but we would like to be rolling before then.
CJ: One of the nice things about using the blog for our official announcements is that we can fix stuff. If a message goes out, and we need to edit the link, etc, we can when it is in a blog post.
AB: I am really happy with the “triad Producer” model, and the collaboration it inspires. Load balancing, supporting each other, filling in when someone can’t be there, etc.
SA: If you aren’t comfortable posting, then feel free to pass it by Bucky and I, and we can review it to catch those things before they go out.
EL: I did. I passed it by Ivan and Kay, and they both missed it.
EL: I’m sending a call-out to get people involved with a Fundraising Committee.
EL: We need to make more money. So we need to fundraise.
Tabasco – Art grant process
TM: All the first-level checks are out. Awaiting next milestone to be met by the artists before the next round of checks go out.
TM: More Microgrant requests and Refurbs have come in.
TM: Looks like I will have somewhere between $500 and $1000 left, judging from the current applications.
KB – Question to Chairs & Finance – what month should Contract Reviews occur
KB: When should we do the art contract reviews? As an Annual thing?
TM: Currently reviewed by the Arts Council. So if you see things you want to see change, then pass the info on to the Art Council.
AB: What is the purpose of the Contract Review?
TM: Review last year’s boilerplate and determine if it needs any modification for this year. (For example, this year they have to initial every page, using a BMORG example.)
AB: Is there a plan to review the Process as well?
TM: Yes. It will all happen within the Arts Council, and then I will report the results back to the Board.
JS: Going to file for an extension for taxes.
JS: When making purchases, make sure you clear it with me before hand. Don’t expect to present a receipt and be automatically reimbursed.
JS: I am not your employee. I will write checks for you, but I will not go to the bank, get stamps, mail things for you, etc. You need to be sure to budget your time for that.
JS: Still thinking through the logistics of the “Producer Per Diem”, as discussed at the Retreat.
JS: Still want to hire a bookkeeper. Any recommendations?
MS: I’ll put the call out to my NonProfits network to see if anyone has suggestions.
PA – Strategic Plan update – fist focus group tonight at Randy’s office
(A discussion ensued about the terms of our Strategic Plan Development contract with Randy Engstrom. Timelines, documentation requirements, etc.)
KB: I’ll talk to Phill and ask him to update us on the status.
New Business\To Dos
Sharon – Ask for Insurance doc
SA: I sent it out. Now we have template that we can work with.
AB: We need to document the process for how to ask for stuff. I am working on that.
AB: I looked at your form, and it accomplishes the Ask part of the process. But it doesn’t do anything more than that. Still need the legal forms, signature forms, etc.
EL: Does it make sense to have a request form on the web site?
JS: I’d like to hand you the Insurance folder so you can research the insurance for your form.
AB: We just need an ask form.
TM: We need to make sure who is on the list. Marco is still getting things. Need to fix the ownership/sharing of the docs.
KB – RiffRaff’s request for funds to aide Ranger training
KB: $60 ask for site at Woodland Park.
AB: Under $100, I am comfortable with that.
AB called a vote to budget less than $100 for this. Seconded by Tabasco Mills. All in favor. Motion passes.
KB – Reason why Medical is part of the Rangers and not a separate group
KB: Because we do not pay for Medical. If it was a separate group, then it would put us at greater liability. Medical does not provide large scale medical care. “Bandaids and Blisters” is the line.
AB – documentation re-org. Ideas on how to proceed? Migration from google docs; Dropbox
AB: Looking at DropBox. Or SparkleShare. We’ll see.
TM: Why is it better to use DropBox than GoogleDocs?
AB: Allows us to organize the things the way we want it to. Sharing is not broken, like it is with GoogleDocs.
TM: But if two people were editing a doc at the same time, then DropBox falls down.
AB: But that doesn’t really happen.
TM/JS: Yes it does. Often.
AB: Windows Live might be the answer. We shall see.
AB: I also moved the redirects for board@ and pnwcrew@, etc.
QH: For archival purposes, why not put it on our server?
AB: DropBox lives on your computer.
CJ: DropBox also is backed up in the cloud.
AB: Sound system list, breakdown, and rates. This is my proposal.
AB: For-profit non-community event pays full retail, community event gets discount, and free event gets it free.
JS: What’s the time limit? We need a time limit.
AB: OK. “Not to exceed 1 week”.
JS: Do we need to charge a labor, maintenance, or restocking fee?
AB: ? The rental fee is the maintenance fee. And there is no restocking fee.
EL: Damage is covered in the rental agreement?
INW presence at Critical: Last camp; Wine& Cheese; Greeter’s Shift
TM: Are we going to let Ali do the Wine&Cheese event? (All in favor.)
JS: She asked for $200.
KB: I propose we give Ali $199.92 to do the W&C at Critical. Christian Jacobsen Seconded. All in favor. Motion Passed.
Board Meeting Location & Time review – Doodle
AB: There is no one day that works for everyone.
AB: First Weds, Second Thurs, Third Weds/Thurs have the most positive responses.
JS: Cannot do Thurs, and neither can Craig.
AB: We should talk about this place. The new mangement seems to be cool with us staying.
JS: We could talk to the Elks Lodge in Burien.
KB: I will move this conversation to email.
KB: Need to discuss time, too. 6:30 seems to be too early.
All: No… let’s keep it early.
KB – Need to arrange to give Mary key to PO Box (if she doesn’t already have one)
- talk about workshop and quality of material
MS: Went to presentation by the curator of the “NP&PRC”. Is a resource that we can use.
MS: Have computers set up for access to paid databases of granters, funding sources, etc.
MS: Also a 30-year vet of Grant Writing presented. Talked about the 5 parts of a grant that you need to do. (Most grants do not cover Operating Expenses.)
JS: That’s key. Because our B&O is around $13k.
MS: 80% of non-profits money comes from Donors.
MS: Funders want to see collaboration with other groups. PLUS want to see how unique we are, and want to see multiple revenue streams.
MS: Talk to MS for more information about the NP&PRC.
Round the Table & Hours
Tabled – do not forget about:
TW – Sliding scale rental deposit (percentage of replacement value)
Sharon – Community Resource\Volunteer Committee
CC - Bylaws
June Busi: Skills Bucket – current skill sets, assets, contacts
June Busi: Annual Review of Documents – identify docs that need to change or are missing
June Events Schedule Fall Retreat Dates
June Business Board Meeting Location & Time review
June Art Non-Event Based Granting status
June Art CM Art grant status
June Busi: Goal Review
June Com: Monthly newsletter?